Friday 25 June 2010

The line

I often have many many things that I want to write about swirling around in my head. Mostly they are things that happen in my life or around me that I have an opinion on or that I find amusing. Yet I hesitate to post these thoughts here. Mostly I do this because I am concerned about the people in these stories getting cross or upset about my posts. Today I was reading a book called "In full view, essays by Lily Brett" in this book she writes some very personal stories, including an essay on the day her daughter told her she was a lesbian and how Lily and her husband went about digesting this information. It is very intimate and not exactly politically correct yet it is beautiful. I wonder what her daughter thought about it? Lily makes it clear that she and her daughter are very close but I wonder at the feeling of having such personal details put in the public domain. I think it is very brave and I have a new respect for writers who are happy to tell it like it really is! So, if you know me, watch out, you may just wind up on these pages. I promise not to use your name though!

2 comments:

Caroline said...

I've had the same thought many times and I don't know how writers do it without harming their relationships with family and friends. Robert Kiyosaki (author of Rich Dad, Poor Dad) wrote about his upbringing and his dad passed away while still being mad at him. I find that sad but at the same time, Robert Kiyosaki has positively impacted so many people with his teachings. It's a bit of a catch really because the juicy stuff is what entices readers too!

Rhianna said...

OMG!!! Seriously do you live inside my head??? I feel exactly the same, unfortunately I know that at this point in time some things are just not right to be shared as I am by no means ready to deal with the consequences but watch out world when I am :)

Powered by Nicole Harry
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...